Benefits of dancing to seniors
Here are some of the benefits of dancing for older people:
Benefits for the body:
• Strengthens muscles, especially the legs, hips and, depending on the dance, the arms.
• Increases flexibility and endurance.
• Improves coordination and balance, thus helping to prevent falls in older people.
• Helps maintain weight, control blood pressure, reduce joint pain and prevent osteoporosis.
• Benefits our cardiovascular and respiratory systems.
Benefits for the mind:
• Reduce stress and ward off depression. It makes us feel happier.
• Helps to exercise memory, attention and, if dancing as a couple, forces to coordinate movements with those of another person.
• Boosts self-esteem and self-confidence, helps to overcome shyness and drives away loneliness.